MNZAC BA (Psychology, Education), Certified Counsellor, Certified Hakomi Therapist.
I have 24 years experience in Counselling and mindfulness based Hakomi therapy with experience in a wide range of issues covering the full dimension of human experience, physical emotional mental and spiritual. I deeply acknowledge and respect each person’s authentic self and unique purpose in life, this guides the unfolding of a therapy session.
My intention is to listen, to support change and self-understanding, using mindfulness as a guiding principle. Neuroscience has shown how with the development of the mindful observer we can develop new neurological connections, reshaping the brain and allowing us to dis-identify with the repeating pattern of struggle. This creates opportunity to discover new responses to situations and to settle more easily into our essential self, to lead more confident lives with increased levels of calm and contentment.
In my personal experience living fully is having the will to listen to ourselves, taking time to slow down and meet the fullness of human experience. It is my hope when we do this that we come to understand our wounds and protective habits and achieve kindness and compassion for ourselves and others.
Adolescents 16+, adults, couples, supervisees
During this time I have worked with
Anxiety, depression, management of stress, improved relationship issues, communication issues, work issues, grief and loss, illness, trauma, sexual issues, doubt, guilt, self-acceptance, lack of meaning, unconsciously held beliefs and habits from past experience, bodymind awareness, mindfulness, meditation and spirituality
My work combines counselling and experiential psychotherapy. I use a blend of Western Psychology, Eastern Mindfulness and Body-centred Hakomi therapy. Recent findings in neuroscience inform aspects of my work.
Hakomi Institute - Hakomi Mindful Somatic Psychology
Therapy can help you to:
- Understand tensions carried in the body
- Identify needs and values
- Develop practical strategies for lowering anxiety and stress
- Release unproductive attitudes, habit, patterns, behaviours and beliefs
- Heal developmental wounds
- Heal past trauma
- Improve relationships
- Improve communication
- Understand yourself
- Build self-acceptance
- Treat our self with kindness and compassion
- Grow confidence and lift mood
- Find an internal attitude of aliveness and inner calm
- Know your essential self
As a certified counsellor and Hakomi experiential therapist I enable a person to discover what they value and what is right for them beyond old fixed attitudes and beliefs about themselves, relationships and the world.
Sessions are collaborative, I work with an attitude of curiosity openness and compassion and hope to foster this within the sessions so clients can achieve their goals and live a more fulfilling life.
I take a mindfulness-based approach to self-understanding, incorporating body and mind to bring the wisdom of the body to the brain. I myself practise mindfulness and meditation and take a holistic view of the human experience.
I am available to provide supervision to counsellors, allied health practitioners and case managers. I bring my experience as a counsellor, mindbody therapist and massage therapist to my work as a supervisor.
- Therapist - Courtenay Medical
- Therapist - Wellington Women’s Collective
- Therapist - Natural Health Centre Wellington
- Tutor – NZ School of Massage
- Course Director – ISIS Smoking Cessation Program
- Course Director – Life Enhancement Well-Being Program
Registrations and Professional Memberships
- Member of the NZ Association of Counsellors (MNZAC)
- Certified Member of Hakomi Institute of America
- Bachelor of Arts (Psychology & Education)
- Certified Counsellor
- Certified Hakomi Therapist